The children and staff at Fannie Battle love our volunteers, who make what we do possible!
Being a volunteer is extremely rewarding, educational, exciting and just plain fun. You can have a huge impact on the lives of the children and families served by Fannie Battle Day Home for Children.
Numerous volunteer opportunities are available where you can interact with a child. You can help a teacher in a classroom, assist with art or help a child with homework. If you would rather volunteer for tasks that do not directly involve children, that’s great too! We always need help with classroom prep, library organization, fundraising, lawn-care, special events and more…no task is too small!
On August 28, 2015, Mayor Karl Dean, in partnership with Hands On Nashville and the Center for Nonprofit Management, celebrated 11 nonprofits, including Fannie Battle Day Home, achieving Excellence in Volunteer Engagement (EVE) certification and the success of the initiative, now in its eighth round.
Founded in 2011 by Mayor Dean, Hands On Nashville and the Center for Nonprofit Management, EVE recognizes high-quality volunteer management by nonprofits and aims to increase volunteers in Davidson County.
Our volunteers are a valuable asset to our organization and to the 100+ children in our care. We hope you consider joining us!
Below are ongoing volunteer opportunities:
- TEACHER’S AIDE: assist classroom teachers with creating materials, organizing classrooms and centers.
- GARDENING/LANDSCAPING: plant, maintain yard, gardens, planters, and natural play-scape.
- READING VOLUNTEER: 1-on-1 or small group reading in classroom.
- HOMEWORK HELPER: with School Age children, ages 5-12, help with reading and homework.
- LIBRARIAN AIDE: assist Literacy Coach in organizing books, repairing damaged books, or helping with reading and family program.
- SEASONAL PROJECTS: assemble Thanksgiving baskets, adopt a child/family at Christmas, or support our Back-to-School supply drive.
- SKILL-BASED: IT support, marketing, painting, general maintenance, etc. are always needed and appreciated services!
- LEADERSHIP & EVENTS: volunteers committed to the mission of Fannie Battle are always needed to serve on the Board of Directors, as part of our annual Caroling, or towards our newest event, Yum!East.
- GROUP / CORPORATE VOLUNTEERING: We offer groups of all kinds the opportunity to work together in a positive, team environment.
Below are Wish List items if you have a group interested in collecting items:CHILDREN & CLASSROOMS
Laundry Detergent Pods
Kleenex & Paper Towels
Diapers & Wipes
Bibs & Sippy Cups
School Supplies (Crayons, Glue, Markers)
Books (new and gently used)
Writing Paper & Pencils
Toy Cars, Dolls & Stuffed Animals (new)
Art Supplies (Paint/Brushes, Colored Pencils, Construction Paper)
Board Games (Trouble, UNO, Connect Four)
School Uniforms, Coats, Shoes & Clothes
Thanksgiving Baskets & Christmas Angel Tree Gifts
ADDITIONAL NEEDED SUPPLIES
Teacher Incentives (movie pass, bath goodies, candles)
Gift Cards (Target/Wal-Mart/Kroger/Teacher Parent Store)
Copy Paper, Colored Copy Paper & Photo Paper
Pens, Highlighters, Dry Erase Markers & Sharpie Markers
Contact Melissa McWilliams, Development Director, at (615) 228-6745 x.117 or email.